[WEB4LIB] mailing list spamming by Blue Angel Technologies

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Nov 1 12:49:51 EST 2002

Friday, November 1, 2002, 10:09:24 AM, you wrote:

Btac> I would like to lodge a public complaint against Blue Angel Technologies for
Btac> using the SiteSearch Open Source project mailing list as a vehicle for
Btac> spamming.

First, if the problem was with a different list, why complain on this
one?

Btac> I did receive the information that I required; however, I also received a
Btac> direct sales pitch from Jim Mathais of Blue Angel Technologies asking me to
Btac> consider purchasing his product. This is completely unacceptable behaviour
Btac> and should not be tolerated by our community.

Second, I don't understand the problem at all.  Apparently the email
was sent to you directly, and not to the list.  Sending it to the list
would be inappropriate, since you were the only one requesting the
information.  I would consider sending it to the list to be spamming,
as it would be a mass mailing.  However, a personal email is NOT spam.

Third, this type of question comes up about twice a year on the dozen
lists I manage.  My standard answer is that if it was sent to the
list, I'll take the violator to task, privately, as it is not
appropriate to publicly flame someone for a first offense.  Second or
third offenses are a different matter, and will usually result in
banning from the list.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA