Our usability test results distilled

Robert Kalabus RKALABUS at wwcc.cc.wy.us
Wed May 15 12:12:53 EDT 2002

    A faculty member at our college who is enrolled in an online Tech
Writing program did a usability test of our library web site as a class
assignment this spring.  Six community college students were the test
participants.  For what it's worth, here is my interpretation of his
findings and recommendations.

1.	Replace library jargon with simpler words or at least clarify terms
using descriptive text or pop-up boxes.  These are some examples of words
that users do not understand:  interlibrary loan, periodical, new
acquisitions, database, webliography, search engine.
2.	Explain what (linked) research tools do not do in addition to what
they do.  For example, state that the online catalog cannot be used for
finding periodical articles.
3.	Use bright colors rather than muted colors and only use 12-point
font size or larger.  No graphics = boring.  Be friendly and playful.
4.	Design section heading (category) boxes so that users do not mistake
them for links - or else, make them links.
5.	Keep important information (e.g., library telephone number,
off-campus database access instructions) in a prominent position on the web
page.
6.	Simplify.  For example, a user should not have to click more than
once to find out the library's hours.  Do not make them click on "library
information", then "hours," then current month.
7.	Do not worry about including too many links on the main page if that
improves efficiency (reduces clicking).  "Save the time of the [user]." -
Ranganathan
8.	Help users distinguish between library resources, subscription
databases, and the Net.
9.	"I could figure out how to use it if I had to." - Test participant
If someone is not interested in what the library offers, it does not make
any difference how well-designed the library web site is.  (Memo to the
bibliographic instruction department:  "If you want to build a ship, don't
drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and
work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." -
Antoine de Saint Exupery)

Robert Kalabus

Hay Library

Western Wyoming Community College