Announcement: OCLC Institute Distance Learning Offerings

Lytle,Amy lytlea at oclc.org
Tue May 7 11:51:13 EDT 2002

[Posted on behalf of Erik Jul.  Widely distributed with apologies.]

Dear Colleague:

Last week the OCLC Institute announced access to online technical learning
through a partnership with MindLeaders (http://institute.oclc.org/).

Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions we have received since
then:

Q. Are the prices for real?
A. Yes.  The OCLC Institute offers four different MindLeaders COURSE GROUPS,
priced as follows (prices are in U.S. dollars):

End User Desktop Computing Group Price: $55.  This includes all 180 courses
in the 39 series.
Technical General Group Price: $110.  This includes all 194 courses in the
31 series.
Technical MCSE Group Price: $110.  This includes all 147 courses in the 37
series.
Technical Web Development Group Price: $110.  This includes all 81 courses
in the 16 series.

Q. What do I get for my money?
A. Individual unlimited licensed subscription access for one year (24/7/365)
to each purchased COURSE GROUP (every series, every course, plus quarterly
updates to the course catalog).

Q. Do librarians really need this kind of stuff?
A. Here's a snippet from a library job posting I saw just yesterday:

Minimum Qualifications
Knowledge of current and emerging technologies in digital and web-based
library services including:
Access, SQL, XML, CGI, ASP, CSS, VBScript, Perl, Java, and HTML/XHTML

Q. Where could I learn all of that?
A. The OCLC Institute...with MindLeaders.
http://institute.oclc.org/index.shtm

Learn online.  Anytime.  Anywhere.

--Erik

Erik Jul