[WEB4LIB] Re: FBI to monitor libraries

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Thu May 30 17:23:31 EDT 2002

"Andrew K. Pace" <andrew_pace at ncsu.edu> said:

> as soon as possible.  otherwise, log files are asking for a subpoena.  i
never
> thought about them taking backup tapes, i'm more worried about them hauling
away
> an entire server!

As well you should be. As it stands, they'd take everything that they can get
their hands on, servers, tapes, hardcopies, etc. If someone doesn't think
they will, I refer you all back to the incident involving Steve Jackson
Games, maker of a role playing game called GURPS Cyberpunk. The Secret
Service raided their offices and took pretty much everything as they were
under the impression that the game and associated books served as a manual
for hacking and cracking. For more information refer to the link:

http://www.2600.com/secret/sj.html

> i'm even worried that these opinions are now officially registered with the
> dept. of justice.

As well you should be. The FBI has made it very clear that they would monitor
libraries because the terrorists involved in 9/11 used computers at libraries
for e-mail access and the like. When the FBI talks monitoring and spying on
Americans, the word library usually comes up in the conversation.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill