[WEB4LIB] FBI to monitor libraries

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Thu May 30 16:22:01 EDT 2002

	You know, I saw a headline on a website soon after the tragedies of the WTC,
Pentagon, and Pennsylvania that said "America Attacked By Terrorists, Civil
Rights Crackdown Soon To Follow." I think most of us good cynics knew this was
coming. Me, I've always been slightly weirded out by the fact that Ashcroft
looks a LOT like the cigarette smoking man in X-Files, or vice versa. So this
raises a question, what if a library doesn't keep track of its server logs,
OPAC logs, proxy info, and stuff like that? Would they now be forced to? If
someone went and told our IT crew right now that they'd be responsible for
maintaining a log of such computer activities you'd be able to hear them
scream from here to Seattle. And they'd be even more upset if they had to hand
over such logs to the FBI simply because the FBI asked for them.
	Here in Washington we have state laws that protect the information libraries
have. In short, you need a search warrent to look at our database and it had
better be a very well written one at that. I'm not a legal expert, so this may
be a dumb question. Do the new events related to us in the Yahoo article allow
the FBI to obtain this information without a warrent? In other words can they
a) simply order the database over to them in the interests of "national
security" or b) hack our system ala Carnivore and offer no reason or
explanation?
	Don't know about all of you, but I find BOTH prospects to be extremely
disturbing.
	And one last shot, if you haven't heard about the recent escpades of
Carnivore, you should check this out...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/05/28/national1704EDT0711.DTL

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill