[WEB4LIB] library floorplans

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Fri May 24 08:51:24 EDT 2002

Linda,

  I would suggest a vector or layered based graphics program such as
Macromedia Fireworks, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, or Autodesk's
Autocad assuming you are using M$ Windows.  With these programs you can
create a library of symbols as it is known in CAD programs.  Examples of
symbols would be like a 16' bookshelf, a 10' bookshelf, a circulation desk,
or a restroom sign.  Once you have created your symbols you can copy and
paste them in where you need them and move each one independently or as a
set by selecting the object(s) and dragging.  Using these types of programs
also allow you to easily change the floor plan should areas be renovated or
redesigned.  With any of the programs mentioned above, you can save your
work in the programs default format and save as gif or jpeg for WEB
presentation.

  There are several applications also available for linux.  One that readily
comes to mind is qcad although I'm not sure off hand the available formats
that qcad can save as.

  We created our first floor plans with Claris Impact but since our person
that created it in CI has retired we saved it in a format that Illustrator
could edit since most of us were not familiar with CI's functions and it is
an old version.

Thomas