IE on OSX and pdf fill-in forms

Nancy Sosna Bohm plum at ulink.net
Thu May 23 16:06:20 EDT 2002

This is a multi-part question. I am numbering the parts so folks can respond
easily to one or more.

I am creating a fill-in PDF to be printed, turned in, and faxed for ILL (see
one version at www.lib.lfc.edu/request/book.pdf ).

1. It seems that the one machine in the Library running OSX does not permit
users to fill in the PDFform in IE. Has anyone else encountered this?

2. There will also be an html form with a javascript pop-up of the print
version (see http://www.lib.lfc.edu/request/book.html ), because I am of the
opinion that printing an html form with boxes showing is too funky. Any
other opinions?
3. Yes, I know javascript is considered hackish, so I guess that's another
part to this question.

There will also be an option to send the request data via email (as soon as
the server admin returns--right now it's sending but not arriving --you may
see one edition at book2.html, but please don't send),

4.but there is a broad consensus here that printable versions are still
necessary even when the email version is functioning. Thoughts on this?

Finally, I assume at this point that I should also offer a non-popup version
of the pop-up by itself (that patrons would print and write on before
dropping off at the library), but now it seems that I am up to 4 options to
list on a page for book ILL, and this doesn't even begin to touch on the
article ILL forms that are also in the oven (see prototype of page at
http://www.lib.lfc.edu/request ).

5.That seems like way too many options and one too many clicks for the
patron. Thoughts on this?

TIA
Nancy
plum at ulink.net