[WEB4LIB] Public access machines and network security

N. Lynn Schlatter lschlatt at smlnet.sml.lib.la.us
Wed May 22 18:31:27 EDT 2002

On our WinNT workstations that were given to us by the Gates Foundation, we
have all the software they provided:  Office 2000, 3 Barney programs, 3
Magic School Bus programs, several Encarta applications, 3 Corbis titles,
Streets and Trips 2000, Acrobat Reader, and a Mouse Tutorial.

Patrons can save to the hard disk, but as we have "don't save settings on
exit" checked in our System Policies, material saved disappears upon reboot.
We turn the machines off at the end of the day and on at the beginning,
which is usually the only reboot.  Patrons cannot use NT Explorer, and they
cannot delete any files (even their own) from the hard disk.

Network Neighborhood is invisible on public access computers.

I do not know all the ins and outs of how our security works on the Gates
Foundation computers, because they set it up.  On machines we've purchased
recently, we use Centurion Guard for "reboot amnesia."

Lynn Schlatter
Instructional Coordinator
Shreve Memorial Library
www.shreve-lib.org