Public access machines and network security

Robin Boulton rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Wed May 22 18:26:37 EDT 2002

[Sending a second time - first part of the text apparently didn't do
through the first time. My apologies].

We are getting closer to beginning work on a public access technology
center, and we're wrestling with the concept of allowing the patron to
perform all sorts of functions - such as running courseware which would
require the ability to create, delete and modify files on the local hard
disk - versus maintaining the security of our network. (For the moment the
cost of setting up an entirely separate network is prohibitive). I would
appreciate any feedback you can provide on the following points.

On machines that provide anything more than catalog and simple internet access:

What applications do you make available?

How much access do patrons have to the local hard disk?

How much access do they have to the network?

How do you prevent malicious mischief from being done?

TIA for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers,
Robin.

Robin Boulton                           rboulton at linc.lib.il.us
Automation Coordinator          (630) 584 0076 x 258
St. Charles Public Library District     Cell:  (630) 918 8738
St. Charles, IL 60174                   FAX: (630) 584 3448
http://www.st-charles.lib.il.us