[WEB4LIB] Netscape 7

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed May 22 12:03:36 EDT 2002

At 11:33 AM 5/22/2002, Andrew I. Mutch wrote:
>For those interested in giving the latest version of Netscape a go, you
>can try out Preview Release 1:
>
>http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/7/
>
>It is based on the RC2 build of Mozilla 1.0. Based on past Netscape
>releases built on the Mozilla code, you can probably expect a bit more
>spit-and-polish improvements compared to the comparable Mozilla release.
>But also expect a healthy dose of AOL and Netscape branding too.

I'm interested--but not surprised--that Netscape removed the config setting
to disallow sites from opening unrequested windows.  Who pays for the
piper's pop-ups calls the tune.

I'm also very disappointed (with RC2, not Netscape specifically) that the
Mozilla developers took out the site navigation bar, which uses document
LINK elements.  They say that it is a performance hit on startup.  It may
be back in Mozilla 1.1.

And I'm confused by the fact that, at least on my machine, NS7b1 is
significantly less stable than Mozilla RC2.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu