[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Answers questions

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed May 22 05:43:57 EDT 2002

Ouch -- your reaction surprises me a bit... Perhaps you are reading more
into my posting than is there.

For years now we have heard how the Web brings disintermediation -- people
won't need human assistance for their information needs.

Then we've heard that people will pay for quality information via the Web --
but with a few notable exceptions, that turns out not to be true.

Predating the Web, we've always had some small consulting firms that do
by-the-sip paid searches for corporate and legal customers.  Those folks
co-exist with library reference services.  In fact many of them exploit
reference resources at research libraries.

What Google is trying to create, I think, is Ebay for quality searching.
Not everyone is good at searching.  Some people are.  Matching people with
good answers may be worth money to people.

You can dismiss the news by trivializing my one example search, but that
misses the point.  (I did not fall off the search turnip truck, by the way;
I was testing the service.)  You might want to take a look at other recent
searches done on the service, and what people were willing to pay:

https://answers.google.com/answers/main?cmd=currentquestions

Any enterprise ignores what the Web enables at their peril.  Ask travel
agents.

/rich

On Tue, 21 May 2002, "William M. Wines" wrote