Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Tue May 21 12:49:05 EDT 2002

>should we be doing a better job of teaching our users the
>difference between web sites and databases?

I continue to believe that we are doing a disservice to our users by
misusing the term "databases" in this way.  Many web sites are in fact
databases, as is the "patron database" maintained in your library's circ
system.

If we're serious about correct use of technical vocabularies, then we need
to be self-critical.

JQ Johnson                      Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  mailto:jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746; -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/