[WEB4LIB] RE: Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was Usablity)

Michael mwhang at hawaii.edu
Mon May 20 06:10:43 EDT 2002

<blake>
So can we design a site that leads the users, and provides definitions or
help as it goes? Can the instruction and the site content be transparently
combined? I think so.

Somehow we need to make the site smarter to anticipate the questions
people will have as they move through it.
</blake>

Key Points
-----------
Absolutely. Library site designers can begin this user-centered process by
first answering several primary, important questions:

1. Who are the users and what will they do once they arrive at your site.
2. What are the procedures that users will need to complete in order to
accomplish his or her goals.
3. How will the site's design (architecture) be organized to allow users
to navigate between pages.

By addressing these questions, designers build user profiles. A user
profile can be defined simply as a representative group of users in terms
of shared goals and characteristics. So in our situation, libraries may
have three unique user profiles: Undergraduates, Graduates, and Faculty.
An example of what a simple *Undergraduate User Profile* might look like
can be found here:

	http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mwhang/info/profile.htm

Once we gather general information about our primary users, we can
classify them into groups (Undergraduates, Graduates, Faculty) based on
shared characteristics. Based on these groupings (user profiles), we can
make some fairly accurate generalizations about the goals and tasks
specific to each group.

For instance, undergraduates may require a step-by-step approach to
familiarizing themselves with the various research tools and services
(databases, catalogs, virtual reference services) provided by the library
(e.g. how to use them and what certain library terms mean). On the other
hand, faculty already know the grindstone and would prefer one-click
access to these already-familiar tools versus a guided approach.

This leads designers to the next critical step in the design process: Task
Analysis. Task analysis involves analyzing the procedures performed for an
individual task. Task analysis does not only help identify the procedures
required to complete one individual task, but it also identifies sub-tasks
that may also be required to complete this one procedure. In a
nutshell, you identify functionality within the design of a page which not
only helps you identify when and where key context sensitive help files
should be placed, but you map out critical procedures that can be used for
your tutorial pages as well and you also reinforce the primary goals and
objectives for building the library website in the first place.

To help you visualize this, let say we want to conduct a task analysis for
undergraduates searching for articles on the library website. To keep this
example short, let's assume that the Undergraduate is already familiar
with what a database is and how to create a search query.

STEP 1: User Goal
---------------------
To find a news article required to complete an assignment due the next
day.

STEP 2: User Tasks
----------------------

1. To find a database that contains news articles

This would involve:
-------------------
a. Scanning database title for familiar news-related terms
b. Scanning database scope notes for familiar news-related terms
c. Being attracted to interesting headings or links on the page related to
news coverage
d. Browse predefined Database Subject Guides related to news coverage
e. Searching for a specific database by title

2. To get tips on selecting the appropriate database

This would involve:
-------------------
a. Scanning page for familiar terms or icons like Help, Tips, Tutorial,
ect.
b. Emailing a librarian for help

In the example above, the main task is "To find a database that contains
news articles." However, tasks A thru E are also subtasks which need
further decomposition. Essentially, the user needs to scan the interface
and decide what to click on in order to move on with the completion of the
task.

Note: This task list is far from complete, but I hope it gives you an idea
of how to identify task requirements and then use this information in
designing your pages.

Michael