CIPA Decision

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri May 31 12:02:22 EDT 2002

If you get the chance, I highly encourage people to read the CIPA decision.
First, it's refreshing to read a decision where the Judges (or their clerks!)
"get" the technology. Internet filtering involves a wide range of often complex
technical issues and the decision explores and explains them all. After you read
the decision, you'll be an expert on Internet filtering technology. From a
library's perspective, it was also nice to see that the Judges understood the
role of libraries in our communities and the work that librarians do. Second,
the decision makes quite clear a concept that we all understand but the
lawmakers never seem to get: Technology is not perfect and it can't solve every
problem. Finally, the decision states clearly that the use of filtering
technology will always result in the blocking of constitutionally protected
speech, even under the limited definition of CIPA (child pornography, obscenity,
etc.). This should give some pause to libraries that use or are contemplating
the use of Internet filters.

I know we've tried to avoid filtering wars here on Web4Lib so I'll leave it at
that. But do take the time to read the decision. It's long but only because it
is thorough. It will be well worth your time.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI