[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Fri May 31 10:47:01 EDT 2002

"Duimovich, George" wrote:

> Related story, reviewing a time no so long ago in the F B I ' s history
> (notice the spaces, cleverly used to avoid Carnivore's detection -- lest I
> be put on the big bad list) [yeah, right.. :)]
>
> http://info.greenwood.com/books/0313267/0313267154.html
>
> Surveillance in the Stacks
> The FBI's Library Awareness Program
> By Herbert N. Foerstel
> Political Science, Contributions in, No. 266 (ISSN: 0147-1066)
> Greenwood Press. Westport, Conn. 1991. 184 pages
> LC 90-38419. ISBN 0-313-26715-4. FFG/ $59.95
> Available (Status Information Updated 5/16/2002)
>
> Does anyone really believe that programs such as the "Library Awareness
> Program" were completely shut down in all forms?? Can the watchdogs be
> trusted not to politicize their searches?

Some librarians have been eager to assist law enforcement by providing
information on people's borrowing or Internet search activities that
they haven't waited for appropriate legal steps (such as issuing a
subpena, which -- at least in California and probably the same procedure
in other states -- anyone can do by filling out a form).

The ALA Intellectual Freedom Committee has been developing an
interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights four at least two years,
and I believe it will come to Council (ALA's governing body) at the
conference in Atlanta later this month.

I see no more reason for libraries to maintain logs or sign-up sheets.
Most of us keep such records only for housekeeping reasons (e.g., to
insure that people aren't hogging the workstations), and, once we obtain
satistical data (how many people use the workstations, for example) we
usually destroy the sheets.
--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor-at-Large,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
Visit my web page:  http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
"Fernando Valenzuela has pitched a no-hitter. . . . If you have a
sombrero, throw it to the sky."
-- Vin Scully, June 29, 1990