[WEB4LIB] RE: The word "listserv" copyrighted?

Lee Jaffe ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue May 28 12:57:44 EDT 2002

Regardless of copyright -- and I'm not saying we should  disregard
copyright seriously -- I would hope that anyone writing or teaching
about these technologies would want to be accurate.  Listserv
refers to a specific product, whereas "mailing list server" or list
server (for short) refers to a group of products which includes
Listserv, mailman, etc.  Ironically, I had an editor try to change
every instance of list server to Listserv in a book I was writing,
even thought I explained in an introductory paragraph the distinction
between the two terms.  -- Lee
Lee David Jaffe               Library Computing & Network Services
168B McHenry Library                                 ldjaffe at cats.ucsc.edu
University of California             831.459.3297  fax: 831.459.8206
Santa Cruz, California 95064       http://people.ucsc.edu/~ldjaffe