The word "LISTSERV" trademarked

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Sat May 25 10:59:31 EDT 2002

Wow, Secretariat is dead, how long before we slay this horse?  :-)

Yes, LISTSERV is a trademark.  It's registered, it's long standing, and it's
vigorously defended by L-Soft and by creator Eric Thomas.

Eric is obsessed with functionality and efficient use of networks; he's also
a bit cantankerous and a fascinating character. Most importantly, he is one
of the unsung pioneer geniuses of Internet history.  LISTSERV fostered
online communities of interest using IBM mainframes and BITNET long before
the Internet revolution.  Unlike some other Internet Johnnie-come-latelies,
Eric richly deserves his millions.

So I agree with Dan.  I don't see any reason to consciously abuse Eric's
trademark, any more than you would use SIRSI as a generic term for OPAC
software.

And by the way, it's spelled with all upper case (though that practice is
particularly unenforceable).

/rich

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Dan Lester wrote

> Friday, May 24, 2002, 3:48:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> BD> Anyone may do the paperwork to register a trademark. Unless they take
the steps to
> BD> defend that trademark it may be lost to them. I guess it depends on
how one would define
> BD> vigorously and how one would define may.

Richard Wiggins
Writing, Speaking, and Consulting on Internet Topics
rich at richardwiggins.com       www.richardwiggins.com