[WEB4LIB] RE: Information Literacy (was Jargon...which was

Tom Edelblute thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us
Fri May 17 19:02:04 EDT 2002

This is an odd place for me to jump into this thread, but here I go.

Most of this thread has taken on the academic library discussion.  I am
with a public library with my own perspective.  Only two-thirds of the
American population graduate from high school.  Half of those graduating
high-schoolers will go on to college.  Only of that population will
graduate.

Therefore, from my perspective, when a person comes through the door
looking for something the last thing we want to do is burden them with
technical jargon.  Instead, we work toward the lowest common
denominator.  The less jargon the better.

--
Tom Edelblute
Anaheim CA 92805         e-mail: thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us