[WEB4LIB] RE: library jargon (was "Our usability test...")

Robert Kalabus RKALABUS at wwcc.cc.wy.us
Fri May 17 15:08:32 EDT 2002

This is a comment on what Karen Harker wrote:

"Regarding space issues, an early usability test focusing on design =
elements brought out these findings of our own clients (biomedical =
students & faculty):
1) Many don't even think about scrolling on a "gateway"-type page; they =
will scroll when a list is expected (i.e. search results, etc.)."

Our usability test compared our library site with two others that had
gateway-type main pages.  The test participants (six community college
students) preferred our page and scrolling over the other two pages and
multiple clicking.  (Of course, we offer fewer research tools than many
libraries.)

Maybe that could be an advertising campaign:  SCROLLING BEATS CLICKING
EVERYTIME.

Personally, I hate gateway pages and prefer to have access to everything at
once.  Web sites should be designed to be convenient and fast for
experienced users as well as explanatory enough for the inexperienced ones.

Robert Kalabus
Hay Library
Western Wyoming Community College