[WEB4LIB] library jargon (was "Our usability test...")

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Fri May 17 10:22:29 EDT 2002

Our library decided to find out what terms our primary clients use.  We asked a small sample of users to select the resources they use (represented on index cards), organize them into any groups they wanted, then label each group.  We found out that they tended to use the term "Search" to describe online citation and article indices.  However, another common term used was "Databases".  But because of the predominance of this term to be used for genetic and protein resources, we used "Search" on our Web site.

Something we did not expect was the use of "Reference", which was used to describe standard textbooks, which, we deduced, our clients used to reference (verb).

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> JQ Johnson <jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu> 5/17/02 8:47:22 AM >>>
>>  some examples of words that users do not understand:
>> interlibrary loan, periodical, new acquisitions, database,
>> webliography, search engine.
>
>What would be an equivalent for "database" that is less
>arcane than "database"?

One problem here is that "database" has a fairly well defined meaning in
computing, either generically to refer to any large organized collection
of (usually online) data or specifically to conjure visions of
relational databases accessed using SQL.  Neither of these meanings
corresponds to the typical use on a library home page.

If I didn't know better, I'd be confused that my library's collection of
"databases" didn't include the one I think of as most important -- our
Banner student information system.  "Databases" is also often used for
the set of implementations of databases, i.e. {DB2, MySQL, Oracle,
PostgreSQL, Sybase, MS SQL Server, ...}, but once again I don't find
"mysql" in my library's list.  Heck, on our site I don't even find our
catalog listed as a database.

Librarians tend to use "database" in a very idiosyncratic way to refer
to what I think of as a specific kind of database, a "commercially
licensed online database of indexes and abstracts" or "bibliographic
database", or sometimes a "database of full text articles".

We went round and round on what word to use on our library web site.  I
prefer "indexes" (even if it is less than appropriate for collections of
articles that include full text), in part because we made the strategic
decision to include printed works with online databases in our list and
in part because it has historical connotations.  We're currently using
the label "Databases & Indexes" and including "find articles" nearby to
remind people that this is what we really mean.

If you need a noun to replace "databases", it seems to me that a first
step in this process is to have a clear idea about what kinds of
databases you are including in your library's list of databases, then to
use that idea to find a qualifier for the word; use "xxx databases" on
your web site rather than just "databases".  At most sites it's not "all
library information" since the list of databases doesn't include catalog
or online dictionary (both of which are certainly searchable databases).

Even better if the audience is undergrads, how about being active, and
rewriting the web site to talk about the action or goals.  Instead of
"catalog" have "find books" and instead of "databases" have "find
articles".

If you insist on using just "database" at least follow the Kalbus/Whang
advice and include a "cheat sheet for library jargon" prominently on
your site.

JQ Johnson                        Office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator    e-mail: jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon         1-541-346-1746 (v); -3485 (fax)
Eugene, OR  97403-1299            http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj