[WEB4LIB] Our usability test results distilled

Heinrich C. Kuhn hck at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu May 16 03:14:35 EDT 2002

Dear Robert Kalabus,

   thanks for your mail to WEB4LIB! It was refreshing to read
the results of "your" usability study: IMHO: lots of common sense
there - though I have to admit that we sin against quite a
number of the recommendations from your study, but in many
of these cases I at least know, that it's a sin  ... .
However: some of the results leave me with some questions.
Perhaps there's a simple answer to part of them?

> 1.	Replace library jargon with simpler words or at least clarify terms
> using descriptive text or pop-up boxes.  These are some
> examples of words
> that users do not understand:  interlibrary loan,
> periodical, new
> acquisitions, database, webliography, search engine.

What would be an equivalent for "database" that is less
arcane than "database"?

> 3.	Use bright colors rather than muted colors and only
> use 12-point
> font size or larger.

If I take this together with point 7 (lots of links on the
main page): It will mean that users will have to scroll.
And if I interpret the access logs of our WWW server
correctly, there is quite a number of users who tend not
to scroll down, and who will thus not see part of the
information on the page. Is there a way out of this
dilemma?

[...]
> 7.	Do not worry about including too many links on the main page if that
> improves efficiency (reduces clicking).  "Save the time of the [user]." -
> Ranganathan
[...]
> 9.	"I could figure out how to use it if I had to." - Test participant
> If someone is not interested in what the library offers, it does not make
> any difference how well-designed the library web site is.  (Memo to the
> bibliographic instruction department:  "If you want to build a ship, don't
> drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and
> work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
> immensity of the sea." -
> Antoine de Saint Exupery)

How do I teach them to long for the endless immensity of
the sea?

   Thanks again for your posting, thanks in advance for any

Heinrich C. Kuhn