Library Knowledge Bases

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Wed May 8 16:33:11 EDT 2002

                                   Library Knowledge Bases

   I am greatly interested in learning about other Library Knowledge Bases for
inclusion in my working registry KBL(sm): A Registry of Library Knowledge Bases

         [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/KBL.htm ]

[I'm particularly fond of the image used for this registry and its associated link :->]

  Excellent examples of Library Knowledge Bases include

VID Knowledge Base 2000-2001
[http://libweb.mnsfld.edu/vid/vid-kb.asp ]

and

EARS (Electronic Access to Reference Services)
[http://library.unn.ac.uk/ears/ ]

Perhaps the most sophisticated Knowledge Base is the one planned as part of the OPAL Project, "an eighteen month research project which is exploring the development of a fully automated online 24/7 reference service for students." [BTW: OPAL = Online Personal Academic Librarian]
[  http://oulib1.open.ac.uk/wh/research/opal/]

"The project team is currently developing and testing a prototype automated reference system designed to answer common questions from [Open University] distance learners."
[ http://oulib1.open.ac.uk/wh/research/opal/intro.html ]

   As Always, Any and All contributions, questions, comments, critiques,  or  Cosmic Insights, are Most Welcome.

  Regards

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University