[WEB4LIB] RE: DEEP FREEZE WITH WIN2K AND FORTRES?

Bill Teschek bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us
Tue Mar 26 18:30:12 EST 2002

> Has anyone had a positive experience with Deep Freeze and Win2k and Fortres
> on public computers?  If so, could you describe?

> What is the advantage of Deep Freeze and Fortres, when Fortres seems
> to do the entire job?

Being familiar with both I'd say that Deep Freeze is the best solution.
We recently switched from Fortres on our Win2K machines to Deep
Freeze 2000, and it works like a charm. Fortres can do the job, but it
can take an AWFUL lot of tweaking to get it to work exactly the way
you want, and it has the (to me) unhappy side effect of locking down
the computer in such a way as to prevent users from doing many of
the things they would like to do. With Deep Freeze I am able to give
users admin rights to the local machine and not worry about what
they may do to it. If they change the desktop, delete files, infect the
computer with a virus, or reformat the hard drive it is all wiped clean
with a simple reboot. You will want to use some other method (such
as System Policies) to prevent them from getting access to the
registry or being able to browse the network. Preventing them from
changing the IE home page is another good tweak as well, which I
just described in another post to this list.

Bill Teschek
Assistant Director
Lane Memorial Library
2 Academy Ave.