[WEB4LIB] RE: What a UCLA Student Thinks of Librarians

Shirl Kennedy sdk at cesmail.net
Sat Mar 9 10:26:38 EST 2002

Well, thanks for at least a nod of support, Rich (and you, too, Karen).  I
dunno that the reactions of most of us were completely unwarranted.  It's
not really a blood pressure sort of thing, either.  (Heck, I'd just come
back from a yoga class when I read the silly essay...)  When someone writes
something that denigrates an entire group of people -- for whatever reason,
even in fun -- he or she should not expect to escape unscathed.  I learned
this many years ago when, as a young reporter (before library school was
even a blip on my professional horizon), I wrote a rather silly column that
contained something sarcastic about hot dog vendors at sporting venues.
Would you believe that I got hate mail from hot dog vendors?  My reaction at
the time was, "Geez, don't they realize I was only kidding?"  Now that I am
older and...uh, wiser, I have a better perception of where those hotdog
folks were coming from.

That being said, anyone on the list who is planning to attend Computers in
Libraries next week and would like to get together for a drink or a cup of
coffee (or a bottle of water, for that matter), e-mail me directly.  Maybe
we can round up a few folks.

Shirl Kennedy