[WEB4LIB] Re: Creating an empty table cell

Eric Holt eholt at cals.lib.ar.us
Fri Mar 15 10:00:11 EST 2002

This is something that I've never understood.  Why is alt=" " more
accessible than no alt tag at all?  Why convey information that there is no
information to convey?  Also, why are invisible images an issue for ADA
compliance when *sighted* people can't even see them?  I've seen the
recommendation for the empty alt tags in a lot of places but I've never
seen any explaination as to why they are needed.  Alt tags for images that
convey information are obviously necessary, but why extend this to images
that have no meaning?  Am I missing something?

Eric Holt
Manager, Computer and Network Services
Central Arkansas Library System