[WEB4LIB] satellite connections for bookmobiles/mobile library units

Phillip B. Whitford pwhitford at braswell-library.org
Mon Mar 11 09:57:25 EST 2002

Peggy,

We are using a two way satellite system from Skysurf PC on our bookmobile.
I've also been using a one way satellite system at home for my personal
Internet connection for about two years. (DSL isn't available where I live).
We find the satellite system very useable for mobile or remote Internet
access where DSL or other wired solutions are not practical or available.
As Don Bosman points out there is a small time lag which makes it
impractical for certain types of Internet gaming. The lag is noticeable with
our L.S automation system but you get used to it and it isn't a major
problem. You don't even notice it with general Internet surfing. We average
about 350 to 400 kbs throughput with the two way system. It is much faster
and much more cost effective than any other mobile Internet solution.

I installed my home system myself and I helped the installer put in the
bookmobile two way system. In a fixed location I wouldn't hesitate to
install a two way system myself.  It's not very difficult, but you do have
to run cables and mount the antenna in addition to installing the satellite
modems and software. Pointing the antenna at the satellite can be
frustrating but really no more so than adjusting an old style roof mounted
TV antenna (remember those!).

On a mobile system you really need someone to install the system. Mounting
the antenna platform, installing, cables, running power, mounting the
computer, modems, and software are more difficult than in a fixed
installation. The antenna pointing in the Skysurf PC setup is handled by the
software and it works very well.  It takes 5 to 8 minutes from the moment
our bookmobile is parked at a location to the time they are on the Internet.
During that time they turn on power to the system, boot the onboard server,
click on the desktop icon for the system, and input the zip code of their
location. The system then unfolds the antenna, finds the satellite, and logs
on automatically. It's very user friendly.  We then use Terminal Server to
connect to our automation server.

If you would like some more detailed information on the system we are using
please feel free to contact me off list.

Phillip Whitford
Manager of Information Systems
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Braswell Library