[WEB4LIB] Re: Domain Hijacking Tools (aka NetworkSolutions.Com)

Johan Zeeman joe.zeeman at TLCDELIVERS.COM
Fri Mar 8 15:14:58 EST 2002

I'm curious to know what the perfectly legitimate business of reselling
domain names that former owners have let lapse (whether through choice or
carelessness) has to do with the fraudulent and almost certainly illegal
domain hijacking described in the article cited in the first post.  And what
that article has to do with the rest of that first message.

If Tourism Toronto wished to keep its domain name, they should have taken
the necessary steps to pay the $29 or whatever it might cost.  Certainly, in
my experience, they will have been given ample opportunity and lots of
reminders by the registrar to do so.

When you lease a domain name you agree to the terms and conditions.  One of
the primary ones is that your permission to use the name expires at the end
of the period you have paid for.  Whether this is the way we would have it
in an ideal world is irrelevant - that is whay you have agreed to.   What
SnapNames is doing is perfectly legal and I rather admire them for having
found a clever way to make a buck or two from the DNS.  Wish I'd thought of
it myself.

j.

playing devil's advocate