Do free application suites represent good value

Info Galway Library info at galwaylibrary.ie
Fri Mar 8 04:37:05 EST 2002

Hi,

We are about to install an application suite such as Microsoft Office on our
public access pcs to provide the public with word processing, spreadsheets
etc. Is there any reason why we should not use a free suite such as the one
available from www.sun.com/staroffice?

Why pay for a product if a good substitute is available for free or are the
free alternatives good substitutes? Am I missing something.

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
John Fitzgibbon

Galway Public Library
Island House