[WEB4LIB] chmod question

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Mar 29 13:36:43 EST 2002

At 01:05 PM 3/29/2002, Linda Woods Hyman wrote:
>I asked my Sys Admin to chmod my perl scripts to 755. She keeps making
>them 775. Does this make any difference in terms of security or
>functionality of the scripts? Thanks.

755 is readable/writable/executable by you and readable/executable by both
your group and everyone else.  775 is readable/writable/executable by both
you and your group, and readable/executable by everyone else.

The only security issue here is whether there are other people in you Unix
user group whom you don't trust.  In any rational web server setup , the
user of the server processes (usually "nobody") wouldn't be in a user group
with any real users, and the server shouldn't be allowing anyone to modify
scripts through a wide open web interface anyway.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu