[WEB4LIB] "search our site" stats

Blake Carver carver.50 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 25 14:28:24 EST 2002

I probably should clarify this.
I must admit, looking at what I sent along to the list, I'd agree with you.
Unfortunately, what I have done so far is not representative of the big
picture.
Looking at the rest of my little project, though, tells a different story.

This list is based ONLY on terms with 4+ occurrences, which was only about
200 terms.
There were about 810 multiple terms total (i.e. terms that were searched
for more than once) out of 8700 total terms. So only about 10% of the total
number of searches were repeats.

Maybe we can infer that there are some people who know what they are doing,
and they use the same terms often, but the could all be librarians for all
I know (yes, I can grep out IP's from the logs, but I haven't). Like I said
before, alot more numbers to crunch here. This list could show only the
expert users searches, something I hadn't thought about until just now.

This list is based on the most frequent terms ONLY, which is a small number
of the total searched terms. Looking at "the rest of the story" shows me
ALOT of people are not understanding it.
I see many single searches like this:

"a newspaper or magazine article on hammurabi"
"a peoples history of the united states"
" back ground check on the last name peebles"
"10 largest world navies"
"2002 winter olympics athletes pronunciation guide"

So, Bill, I think you're right, the users I based this list on "get it",
there are more than a few more users that are not reflected here, and they
don't get it.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused, I chose my wording poorly, as
usual.

-Blake