[WEB4LIB] Re: Booklend??

Mary Beth Faccioli mbfaccioli at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 10:16:02 EST 2002

--- Jerry Kuntz <jkuntz at ansernet.rcls.org> wrote:

> If any media found Booklend newsworthy, they either
> don't have a clue or are promoting the idea that
> publicly funded libraries aren't necessary.

I feel certain its the former, and that's its a poor
promotion issue.  I went through my entire undergrad
program without knowing about ILL or even realizing
that I could ask a librarian to help me with my
research.  And I wrote an undergrad thesis!  The only
contact I ever had was being handed the PsycLit
CD-ROMs.  Then later when I was broke and making use
of the public library for the first time since my
youth, I still had no clue as to any services beyond
borrowing a book that the library offered.  I learned
about these services when I started to work in a
library.  When I do reference and mention the ILL
option to patrons, the majority seem to be learning
about it for the first time - not only young students
but also people of all ages from the public that call
about holdings.  I believe this is worthy of note -
libraries have been around providing these services
for a long time.  Maybe people have no clue, but if
there's blame, its ours.

Mary Beth Faccioli
Reference Department
Georgia State University Pullen Library