[WEB4LIB] Question from School Library Journal: Plug-ins

Minkel, Walter (Cahners-NYC) WMinkel at cahners.com
Wed Mar 20 10:55:25 EST 2002

Folks-- Hi from SLJ. I'm working on a short piece about browser plug-ins. I
want to hear which plug-ins various libraries are using on their Net
stations. Has there been general agreement on a "standard set" of browser
plug-ins for the stations? Perhaps the following, which is (as far as I can
figure) my idea of a standard set of plug-ins?

Adobe Acrobat Reader
Macromedia Flash Player
Macromedia Shockwave Plug-in
QuickTime
RealPlayer

Are any public Net stations out there (and I'm particularly interested in
Net stations used by those under 18) using another set, or going without any
of these plug-ins? What happens when these plug-ins need updating?

Any information you can share about how you handle plug-ins will be much
appreciated. Please reply to me individually. Thanks very much, W