mylibrary

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Tue Mar 19 09:24:03 EST 2002

Jimmy Ghaphery <jsghaphe at vcu.edu> wrote:

> One of the pieces that I see as still evolving is the level of integration
> with all library digital services. That is, can I access my favorite
> databases, interlibrary loan requests, borrowing record, renewals, fine
> payment, remote authentication, new books, toc alerts, etc. all through a
> single login (did someone say privacy issues)?
>
> Here I am especially curious about how one might best leverage the ILS for
> fielding this type of library personalization.

The concept of linking various traditional library services from integrated
library systems to a personalized/customized interface to library services
and collections interests me as well. For example, we are in the throws of
finishing up a set of focus group interviews here at Notre Dame, and one of
the things the students, staff, and faculty desire is to have a better idea
of what they have checkout from the catalog and/or what is the status of
their ILL requests. These things could easily be integrated into a MyLibrary
sort of system if authentication methods were in place as well as easy
access to the catalog's data.

I believe the success of these endeavors is contingent of the openness of
ILS software and/or an agreement about data transmission standards.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604