[WEB4LIB] Re: styles, broswers, and platforms, oh my

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 14 12:46:09 EST 2002

There is also an alternate way to procede.  CSS is designed to allow for
gracefull degradation, that is, to leave a page renderable in a browser
that doesn't support CSS fully or doesn't support CSS at all.

It seems a saner approach to rely on this rather than trying to keep track
of all the variations in CSS implementation among browsers and browser
versions.  A List Apart is championing an approach of this type.  If you
go to http://www.alistapart.com/ using Netscape 4.79 (for instance) the
following message appears at the top of the page:

"This site's design is only visible in a graphical browser that supports
web standards, but its content is accessible to any browser or Internet
device."

This message includes links to an article entitled "Why don't you code for
Netscape?" (http://www.alistapart.com/stories/netscape/) and a link to a
discussion of upgrading to a standards compliant Web browsers
(http://www.webstandards.org/upgrade/).

It is in everybody's best interest to use and promote standards for these
things.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo