[WEB4LIB] RE: cataloging web sites

Lydia C Bauer lydia.bauer at bms.com
Wed Jun 26 09:34:09 EDT 2002

Where I work, we decided early on to go with the single-record approach. Our staff and clients made it very clear that they do not want to have to go through multiple records to see whether we have a specific issue of a journal regardless of its physical format.  As a multi-site institution, a method of
handling separate holdings statements for our multople subscriptions to a journal was already established.  For our electronic journals, we added a virtual location and assign all of our electronic holdings to this location.
I personally think the single-record approach is more user friendly.  In the general OPAC usability studies I've reviewed, it didn't seem as though the parts of a marc record that distinguish one physical version from another were high on the list of "important things users look at."  But I suppose a lot
would depend on the user.  Its been a while since I worked in an academic library - do students expect and utilize the details that are available when using the multople-record approach?  For a related study, see Luk's focus group study referenced on this page:
http://www.fis.utoronto.ca/research/programs/displays/
I'd be very interested in your results if you decide to do a study.
Thanks-

Lydia Bauer
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
lydia.bauer at bms.com