[WEB4LIB] cataloging web sites

Noelle Van Pulis vanpulis.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 21 09:56:54 EDT 2002

Steve,

There is no requirement for the 'separate record' approach for e-resources.
 Single or separate record is allowed, for both monographs and serials. In
the same catalog, there may be hybrid records (single) or separate records,
or even a mix -- print bib includes link but also e-version bib exists with
same link.  Something else that varies is what is put (if anything) in the
856 subfield $z as public note (e.g. "Connect to this title online"
"Connect to web site" "connect to the electronic book").

For more information on cataloging e-resources, see links at the OCLC site:
http://www.oclc.org/oclc/cataloging/type.htm

A quote from that website:

"Separate Records Versus Single Record
Creating separate records for an item is preferable when both electronic
and nonelectronic versions exist. You may, however, find a single record
approach is better for your local environment. OCLC recommends that you
verify the impact of these options with your local system vendor and other
partners prior to implementation."

In the LC documentation, see especially DCM B19.4.4-5 and 19.5.2
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/dcmb19_4.html

At the CONSER site, see especially section 31.3.5.

About the "Committee revising AACR2" -- I represent RUSA on the
ALA/ALCTS/CCS Committee on Cataloging: Description and Access (CC:DA). This
committee has an ALA representative to the JSC (Joint Steering Committee),
which is the body responsible for AACR rule revisions.  Information about
CC:DA activities (including those related to e-resources) is available at:
http://www.ala.org/alcts/organization/ccs/ccda/ccda.html

The JSC website is at:
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/jsc/

--Noelle Van Pulis
Ohio State University

At 08:31 AM 6/20/2002 -0700, Steven Dunlap wrote:

>Please forgive me if this topic has been covered already--I am new to this =
>list and to my job as Head of Technical Services.
>
>I am returning to TS work after years of working as a reference librarian. =
> I have found we have an *interesting* problem in our OPAC. =20
>
>About 4 or 5 years ago our cataloger started to add 856 fields to records =
>for serials that we receive in paper that either had web equivalents or =
>(especially true of gov docs) the paper had been replaced with a web =
>version.  The Head of TS in the law library at my institution has told me =
>that the Committee revising AACR2 has decided that each format, including =
>web, must have a separate bib record.  That means that our practice of one =
>bib for web and paper has become a Bozo no-no.
>
>My question is has anyone else gotten themselves into this situation: =
>hundreds of "hybrid" records that now lie outside AACR2's guidelines?  =
>What have other cataloging dept.s done about this?  Has anyone decided to =
>ignore AACR2's guidelines in this regard?  If anyone has done a recon =
>project do you have any estimate, guesstimate or solid stats on the cost =
>per record? =20
>
>Thanks in advance for the info.
>
>Steven Dunlap   sad at ggu.edu
>Head, Technical Services and Systems
>University Library - Golden Gate University
>San Francisco, California

***********************************
Noelle Van Pulis
Assoc. Professor &