[WEB4LIB] Re: Librarian Bots To The Rescue!

Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Thu Jun 27 18:48:56 EDT 2002

Interesting idea.

Sonoma State University currently has a robotic book retrieval system. Their storage facility is on-site, on the ground floor of the library. The books are stored in huge stacks of
bins. The patron locates the book in their online catalog and clicks a button to request retrieval. The robot (which is not at all anthropomorphic, more like a large automated
forklift) automatically retrives the correct bin and delivers it to a processing station, where a library employee removes the book and takes it to the circulation desk.

I wonder how long it takes for a robotic scanner to scan an entire book? How does it turn the pages? Wouldn't it be less expensive to use student employees?

Jean Hewlett
University of San Francisco, North Bay Regional Campus, Santa Rosa CA
hewlett at usfca.edu

All opinions are my own, and do not represent those of my employers.