Gaylord and LSSI Collaborate to Develop First "Smart" Library Catalog

Stephen Coffman coffmanfyi at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 13 00:44:19 EDT 2002

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Syracuse, New York and Germantown, Maryland.

Gaylord Information Systems (GIS) and LSSI announced today that Polaris will be the first library automation system to seamlessly integrate the functions of the library's public access catalog with live reference service through LSSI's Virtual Reference ToolKit. The exchange of data between Polaris and LSSI will enhance the experience of library users by providing access to a librarian at multiple points in the search process.  “We’re calling it a ‘smart’ catalog”, said Steve Coffman, VP of Product Development for LSSI, “because there are librarians inside.  We are taking advantage of the new virtual reference technology to offer help to patrons right inside the catalog where they most need it.  And it’s not just a passive link, either.  The new ‘smart’ Polaris system can sense when the patron may be having difficulty and offer live reference assistance.  It is a wonderful example of what you can make when you sit down and think about how these systems can work together… and, of course, we’ve only scratched the surface here” said Coffman, “there are lots of others things we can do to integrate the reference function in the catalog and we can use a similar approach to create ‘smart’ databases and Web resources of all types.”

"Gaylord and LSSI are taking significant steps toward providing a more satisfying experience for library patrons," said Anita Wagner, GIS vice president of business development. "Integrating our two systems means that if a PAC search doesn't retrieve the expected results the patron will receive an automatic prompt to initiate a reference session (like this http://www.gis.gaylord.com/images/VRT/VRT1.htm). Prompts will appear at appropriate points during the search process, reminding patrons that reference help is readily available. We are excited to be the first ILS vendor to work with LSSI to integrate our two products in such a way that will help library patrons find what they need and reduce the frustration that can be associated with PAC searches. No other ILS vendor is even coming close to providing this type of integration to virtual reference services," added Wagner.

The system also makes it easy for a patron to enter a virtual reference session.  “We already have their patron record in the catalog,” said Wagner, “ we can use that to automatically log them on to a reference session … and all the patron has to do is ask a question.”  (http://www.gis.gaylord.com/images/VRT/VRT4.htm)

Patrons using Virtual Reference ToolKit can choose to maintain with LSSI a history log of their reference transactions. These logs can then be displayed within their Polaris patron accounts, providing patrons with a single point of access to information about their library account (http://www.gis.gaylord.com/images/VRT/VRT2.htm and http://www.gis.gaylord.com/images/VRT/VRT3.htm to see an actual transcript) . "Polaris users already can access their patron accounts for information on fines and fees, items checked out, and items on hold," Wagner said. "Now, they can use the same patron account to track open reference queries and access a log of completed reference questions and answers."

"Virtual reference is all about meeting patrons where they are, and providing the specific reference assistance they need at that point. The breadth and richness of resources provided by Polaris guarantees heavy use by patrons, and immediate, live reference assistance neatly completes the picture," said Coffman. "Tightly coupling virtual reference with a library's online catalog puts the service exactly where-and when-the need for help arises.  Plus, it is one of the most effective and least expensive ways of marketing you service --- if you put your service in front of your patrons when they need help, there is a much greater likelihood they will use it.

The new ‘smart’ Polaris catalog will debut at the Marketing Virtual Reference Services program at ALA (3:00-5:30 Saturday, June 15, Room A302 GWCC) … or come and see it for yourself at the Gaylord exhibit at ALA (Booth 1518) or LSSI (Booth 846).   Or contact us on the Web at http://www.gis.gaylord.com/ or LSSI at vrhome.virtualreference.net  We look forward to seeing you all there.