[WEB4LIB] RE: Advice on Linux

Peter Verhagen pverhagen at sapl.ab.ca
Tue Jun 4 12:21:30 EDT 2002

> When using Apache with Samba and mod_frontpage I can't think of
> any other "infrastructure" that would cause me to use IIS.

I can:

1) Vendor Support

Now, to the best of my knowledge, our Public Library Vendor
(Epixtech) supports Internet access to our library's catelogue only
on two different Operating Systems: Solaris and Windows.
2) Familiarity

Although I'd like to use Solaris, I don't know anything about it. As
it currently stands, it would be a waste to drop our existing
investment into Windows to make the switchover. Although, in
retrospect, perhaps our Library did make the wrong move when we
invested into Windows (relying on Vendor's Advice)
But, If I were to start a new project, and this project DID NOT rely
on access to my Library's catelogue, I would not hesitate to
consider OpenBSD (for servers/firewalls) or Linux (for Desktop).
Case & Point - Please visit: http://extra.sapl.ab.ca/ (shameless plug)

If our vendor choose to support either of these Operating Systems, I
would not hesitate to make the switchover.
Peter Verhagen
Systems Administrator
St. Albert Public Library