[WEB4LIB] RE: Advice on Linux

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Tue Jun 4 09:17:29 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:10:23AM -0700, D. Keith Higgs remarked:
> Actually, any of the Linux boot loaders should allow you to
> multi-boot not only multiple Linux installations but also any
> version of Windows.

Yes, typically the LILO or (more recently) GRUB boot loaders.

> The one thing to remember is that the
> boot code for all installations must reside within the first
> 1024 cylinders of your physical drive.

AFAIK this is no longer a requirement.  The latest versions of
LILO have surpassed this limitation to the best of my knowledge.

> You will want to choose one boot manager for all of your
> installations and manage it from only one of those
> installations. Thus, if I install Windows 2000 and both Red
> Hat and Suse, and I choose to use Grub as my boot manager I
> would probably manage my boot menu from within the Red Hat
> installation.
>
> One tip on multi-booting Linux with Windows: If you can manage
> to install your Windows system on a FAT32 partition you will
> be able to make use of WINE to run most (if not all) of your
> WIN32 programs from within Linux. Hard core users who are
> security freaks will scream about the security holes in
> Windows on FAT32 but, they only exist through Windows if you
> actually boot up Windows. (I'm going to have to brush my teeth
> after using the 'W' word so many times.) ;-)
>
> One other thing to keep around would be a Windows 95/98
> bootable disk with the MS version of fdisk.  Not that you ever
> would but, if you ever decide to make that box a Windows only
> system you will need to boot to that disk and run "fdisk /mbr"
> to reset the Master Boot Record and remove the Linux boot
> loader code.

> Keith

Agreed, get as much information as possible about the system
from the windows control panel, then make a windows rescue
diskette just in case :)

Cheers,
Raymond