[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

Griffin, Jackie JGriffin at ci.berkeley.ca.us
Mon Jun 3 18:44:00 EDT 2002

For me, this is not about whether or not the FBI is capable of handling the
information.
This is about what I do for a living.  I make information available to
people.
 I help them fill their needs.  I help kids do their homework but I also
help
kids find abortion clinics.  I have given people the Anarchist's Cookbook, I
have given them "Final Exit".  When I give them those books, do I think that
they are going to commit a crime, or write a research paper?  I don't think
about their motives.  I think about giving them the information they need.
No
where in my job description or that of any of my staff does it say that we
are
the monitors of what people need or their reasons for needing it.
To answer the previous question...if I had a map of the water resevoirs in
my
community and 3 Middle Eastern men asked me for it, I would give it to them
and think no more of it.  To do what was suggested, is to profile.  I don't
believe in it for the police, I don't believe in it for me.
I will follow the law.  If supoenaed my library will respond legally (had to
do this the other day).  But, I will fight against those laws.  And, I
definitely won't help our country become the kind of place where we inform
against each other out of fear.

Jackie Griffin
Director of Library Services
Berkeley Public Library
Berkeley. CA
510-644-6095

>>> N. Lynn Schlatter 06/03/02 02:46PM >>>