[WEB4LIB] RE: FBI to monitor libraries

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Mon Jun 3 13:28:52 EDT 2002

Donna Winter <dwinter at tln.lib.mi.us> said:

> Hear, Hear! If you've got nothing to hide, who cares what you read/look at
> on the internet. It's been really bugging me that so many people on this
> list are bent on protecting the rights of suspected criminals and nobody
> has spoken up on the opposite side.

	I myself have nothing to hide, but do you really believe that it's right and
proper that someone should monitor your online reading habits? Who would do
such a thing? What would they do with the data? If you have no problem with
people looking at what you do online then why not download the newest version
of KaZaA, and take advantage of their newest "feature." It's a little
programme that installs itself on your computer and allows your computer to
act as a distributed computing source much the same way as SETI at home, but it
doesn't ask permission to do this. It monitors what you look at and can tailor
pop up ads to your preferences by keeping track of what you look at online.
But as you said, you have nothing to hide.
	I mean no offense, but I think there's far more to private citizenry
expecting some kind of privacy online than you may think. I look at typical
library and literary fare and would probably be considered a very boring
individual if one kept track of my online activity. But I still do not want
anyone spying on me, whether it be my government or a corporation. (Anymore,
goverment and corporations seem to be indivisible.)

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrl.org
509-452-8541 ext 761
102 N 3rd St  Yakima, WA  98901
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                                         -Hunter S. Thompson
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.
                                         -Benny Hill