[WEB4LIB] Electronic Tutorials

Mark Leggott m.leggott at uwinnipeg.ca
Mon Jul 8 10:43:24 EDT 2002

We have been using Qarbon here at The University of Winnipeg. It has proven quite popular with both users and librarians creating the tutorials. Some early examples are at:

      http://cybrary.uwinnipeg.ca/emanual

Click on tutorials on the left-hand side and pick one.

The vendor website is:

     http://www.qarbon.com/

and they have just released version 3, which has some interesting new features. One nice thing about the app for the client is that there is no plugin installation required. You can also use an ad-laden free version if you don't want to purchase. Linux/Mac/Solaris version are coming - currently you can only author in Windows.

The University of Winnipeg is a member of a consortium of Canadian universities called COPPUL (Council of Prairie and Pacific University Libraries) and we are looking at creating a shared repository of Qarbon viewlets to facilitate development of stuff that would essentially be the same from site to site (e.g. databases). An institution that wanted to add some of their own data could take the standard uncompiled viewlet and just add a few screens of their own. Karen Hunt (k.hunt at uwinnipeg.ca - our Information Literacy Coordinator) and the staff in our Information Literacy unit have done all the work with Qarbon to date. We are also starting to work with our Computer Centre who would like to create viewlets for common support issues.

I have no interest in the company, other than the fact that they have created a great little web tutorial builder ;-)

Mark Leggott, University Librarian
University of Winnipeg
204-786-9801  204-786-8910 FAX
m.leggott at uwinnipeg.ca  cybrary.uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Garcia, Elizabeth" <egarcia at state.lib.ga.us> 07/08/02 08:07AM >>>
I am developing online tutorials and documentation for our library system
and want to get away from static HTML pages.  Do any of you have
recommendations for software or templates that can be used to create
animated or interactive tutorials?

Thanks!

Elizabeth McKinney de Garcia
PINES Project Coordinator