[Web4Lib] RE: Floppy Disks

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Wed Jul 3 18:16:34 EDT 2002

Samantha,

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, SAMANTHA YEUNG wrote:
> ..
> I am wondering if your public computers are on a
> completely different network or subnet from your staff computers.  Could
> you elaborate on your network infrastructure? Do you also use Win2K
> System Policy to lock down the computer?
> ..

I'm not sure whether this addresses your question properly,
but..

Much of the network infrastructure here is only 2 years old.
In our network closets we don't have hubs, we have switches.
So, none of the PCs in the public area could be used to "snif"
the network communications of our office PCs.

With that said, they are on different subnets.  That is,
the IP addresses for one group are xxx.xxx.110.xxx, and for
the other are xxx.xxx.111.xxx, but there is nothing
preventing a PC on one subnet from talking TCP/IP to
a PC on another subnet.

No, we don't use any system policies to lock down these
PCs (which are running Win98 right now, but will be running
Win2k by September).   The Win2k systems we put out will
probably have some Windows components removed or disabled..
such as IIS.

==
Kyle Harriss
UMD Library