Floppy Disks

William M. Wines wwines at tln.lib.mi.us
Wed Jul 3 12:57:07 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I'm looking for some authoritative answers to a question, and I figured
this is the place. :-)

Is there any reason for a library that offers public Internet access to be
concerned about patrons using their own floppy discs to download and
upload files?  (Given that it has an adequate virus-protection program,
such as Norton)

We have many patrons who use web-based email and currently our usage
policy prohibits the use of floppy discs; therefore they can't upload
or download attachments.  Is this or is this not an archaic policy?

Bill Wines
Assistant Director
Walled Lake City Library
1499 E. West Maple Rd.