[WEB4LIB] Re: Vendors Who Borrow from One Another

Oberg, Steve STOBERG at TAYLORU.EDU
Mon Jul 29 14:04:26 EDT 2002

Please see http://www.endinfosys.com/prods/lfp_custlist.htm for Endeavor's customer list for LinkFinderPlus (which, btw, can be used in conjunction with their ENCompass product, or as a standalone product).  The above-mentioned list notes which sites are using it standalone vs. in conjunction w/ENCompass.

Steve

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Thomas Dowling [mailto:tdowling at ohiolink.edu]
	Sent: Mon 7/29/2002 12:57 PM
	To: Multiple recipients of list
	Subject: [WEB4LIB] Re: Vendors Who Borrow from One Another

	Howard:
	>>I realize that vendors need to offer products which are competitive to stay
	>>in business, but it gets a little ridiculous when they end of stealing web
	>>pages from one another without even bothering to change the font.

	Bill:
	>The real question is now:
	>
	>Which came first, ExLibris or Endeavor?

	I submit that I specified Arial in a web page back in 1995, so ultimately
	they both stole from me.  :->

	Ex Libris knows that their SFX bread is buttered on the open standards side
	(to mangle a metaphor), so it's reasonable to suppose they're willing to
	share what they know about OpenURL support.  And it's entirely reasonable
	to suppose that the Endeavor folks, trying to explain LinkFinder Plus to
	their own customers, asked for and got permission to use the list on the
	www.sfxit.com site.  At most, I'd say it's uncharitable for the Endeavor
	list to leave out Ex Libris.

	BTW, while the NISO page is at
	<http://www.niso.org/committees/committee_ax.html>, the actual work being
	done by the committee can be tracked at the committee's home page,
	<http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/>.

	Also BTW, are there any actual LinkFinder Plus users yet?

	Thomas Dowling
	tdowling at ohiolink.edu