NISO Announces the Release of the 2002 Library Statistics Standa rd (Z39.7)

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Jul 29 11:15:49 EDT 2002

This is important news for all of us.

Bill Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: gary [mailto:gprice at GWU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 10:45 AM
To: DIG_REF at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [DIG_REF] NISO Announces the Release of the 2002 Library
Statistics Standard (Z39.7)

Hello from D.C.

>From the Resourceshelf

Libraries--Standards
Source: NISO
NISO Announces the Release of the 2002 Library Statistics Standard (Z39.7)

http://www.niso.org/emetrics/

>From the site, "This new standard, available as a web-enabled database, for
the
first time defines a standard vocabulary to measure the use of electronic
resources and other library metrics used in the U.S. and internationally.
You are
invited to review and comment on the standard."

>From a listserv posting, "This new edition of Z39.7 is a major departure
from
prior versions of the standard. Not only has the Committee embraced valuable
best
practices long recognized by the U.S. library community, we have also
incorporated international definitions," said Denise Davis, Chair of
Standards
Committee AY, Library Statistics...."The trial use period is 12 months,
supporting an annual data collection cycle. All persons engaged in data
collection activities at the local, state, and national levels are
encouraged to
provide comments to the committee. Publishers, information aggregators and
consortia are encouraged to review and use the E-metrics sections." Comments
will
be accepted from July 26, 2002 - July 31, 2003.

See Also: Information About Submitting Comments on the Standard
http://www.niso.org/committees/public/index.html

See Also: Info About Subscribing to NISO Z39.7 Electronic Discussion Group
http://www.niso.org/press/listserv.html

--
Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
gary at freepint.com

The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.freepint.com

---
To sign off from DIG_REF, send a
message to LISTSERV at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU