[WEB4LIB] launching executables within a browser

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Jul 17 12:04:32 EDT 2002

We've been using NTScript from rethinkit for several years now and have been
pleased
http://www.rethinkit.com

Just set an association for .prg files with the ntscript executable on the
client machines.  We have used it to run executables from Novell servers, CD
Towers, NT Servers, and the local machine from links on a web page.  It also
has several other features such as logging into a server and mounting drives
on different platforms.  We have also used it to create scripts that can be
run from the web to remove viruses by including directions to change or
delete information from the registry and the disk.  I've used this program
to create a script to run winipcfg.exe from a browser URL when I wanted ip
information on a public machine and did not want to have to logout from the
secure public user and relogin under our systems login to access this
program.  The script syntax is simple using a text editor,ie.

sub main
shell "c:\windows\winipcfg.exe"
endsub

  Another usefull tool at Rethinkit is a free program called NagMe.  This
program can display html messages before running a program.  Let's say you
have found printing problems with Netscape when searching Ebsco.  You can
have this program popup a message before running Netscape to inform the
patron of the print problem and suggest another available browser.

Thomas