[WEB4LIB] RE: The Wireless Future of Library Computing

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Jul 16 14:22:42 EDT 2002

Friday, July 12, 2002, 8:32:23 AM, you wrote:

AIM> One can hardly fault librarians if they won't jump right onto the
AIM> "wireless is the future!" bandwagon. Anyone who's been around for more
AIM> than a few years has seen their share of "this is the future!" claims only
AIM> to see those claims fizzle or be radically adjusted to meet the realities
AIM> of the technology.

You mean the places I've worked aren't the only ones that have had, or
still have, Ultrafiche, videodisks, eight tracks, quad stereo, StarLan
networking, or Dataphase systems?

AIM> I remember when I first started working with technology
AIM> in libraries and the big thing was CD-ROMs! We had to have networked
AIM> CD-ROMs and as many as possible. The Internet as a public information
AIM> resource was just starting to take off and the promise of easily
AIM> accessible online databases was just that, a promise, not something that
AIM> was readily available. Now, I have a handful of CD-ROMs available for
AIM> resources that are still not easily accessible on the web or in a format
AIM> that is better suited for a local resource. Everything else has gone to
AIM> online databases. But in 1995, I was safe going with just CD-ROMs.

Same here, and for most of us.  I am fond of saying that "we try to
stay near the leading edge, but off of the bleeding edge" and "never
buy serial #1 of anything".

AIM> Now, that doesn't mean that libraries shouldn't be looking at wireless
AIM> technology and how we can provide services to wireless users, whether it
AIM> be laptops, handhelds, or other portable devices.

Absolutely.  We have about ten of our fifty public workstations on
wireless, as we had to expand into spaces where there was no easy or
reasonable way to get network cables in, though power was available.
They work fine.  We also have wireless hubs that are on all floors,
making about 90 percent of the public areas accessible to a wireless
laptop.  We're ahead of most of the campus on this, which shows, as we
get relatively little wireless laptop use.  We also have some 78 wired
jacks around the building that anyone can plug into.  Those also get
little use.  No login is required.

AIM>  I agree with many points
AIM> in the article. But the reality is that there still isn't a lot of
AIM> compelling features and services available for libraries. Maybe this the
AIM> old "chicken and egg" dilemma where we don't get these services if we
AIM> don't demand them but we don't demand them if we can't test and see their
AIM> value.

This is true.  How many of us knew we needed a microwave or a TiVo
until we had one?

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA