Lessig Interview, New Issue of D-Lib, Info Access in War

gary gprice at gwu.edu
Mon Jul 15 22:22:19 EDT 2002

Hello from D.C.

I posted a few interesting reads to the weblog over the weekend and today that I think are worthy
of mention on the list.

1) Library Journal interviews Lawrence Lessig
http://libraryjournal.reviewsnews.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA231610

2) The July/August Issue of D-Lib Magazine is Now Available Online
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july02/07contents.html

Selected Articles:
"A Framework for Evaluating Digital Library Services"
"Interdisciplinarity: The Road Ahead for Education in Digital Libraries"
"Federated Digital Rights Management: Proposed DRM Solution for Research and Education"
"Learning Lessons Holistically in the Glasgow Digital Library"
"Digitizing Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps™ for a Full Color, Publicly Accessible Collection"
"My Library at Virginia Commonwealth University: Third Year Evaluation"
"IEEE Technical Committee on Digital Libraries Web Site Launched"
"ARCHway: Access to the UK's Best Archaeology Libraries and Their Journals"
"OAIster Search Interface Launched"
"Citebase: An OAI Citation-ranked Search Service"

3) A Few Comments from Paul Willis, Dean of Libraries at the University of South Carolina
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/3647498.htm

>From the article,
Willis on librarianship, ""It's a service profession," Willis said recently. "If you think you're
going to come into the office and read a book all day, you're in trouble."

Willis on the Internet, "Part of a librarian's advice to today's students, Willis said, is to not
forget about books."UCLA did a study that showed a high percentage of freshmen started their
research on the Internet," he said. "My concern is that they stop there."Willis is convinced books
and printed materials won't die, and he wants libraries to emphasize the use of both print and
electronic materials."

4) Finally, from the July issue of The Journal of Medical Librarianship
"Access to information in war" by Carolyn E. Lipscomb
Full-Text:
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=116409
PDF
http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/picrender.fcgi?action=stream&blobtype=pdf&artid=116409

cheers,
gary
--
The Weblog:
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gary at freepint.com